Sunday, May 18, 2008

Pymol - Molecular Visualization

Today I have been messing with the program PyMol to generate images for molecular visualization. After following a simple tutorial, I generated a few images of water with different settings.


Water - Stick View


Water - Ball View

Now I am working on getting some images of the molecules my research group is more interested in. But first, I wanted to try the ray-tracing option. Not too shabby.


Ray Traced Water - 2048 x 2048 - About 19 seconds (slightly quicker than my ray tracer)


This is a Streptavidin - Biotin Complex generated from data found at the Research Collaboratory for Structural Bioinformatics Protein Data Bank (RCSB PDB) here. Luckily, this protein data bank exists, otherwise I seriously doubt it realistic image generation would be feasible.


Streptavidin/Biotin - Ray Traced - Not Quite as cool with the mesh option


Streptavidin/Biotin - Not Ray Traced - I think this looks better

No comments: