Thursday, November 29, 2012

Structure Fire

In continuing with the theme of destruction, this blog post is dedicated to a structure fire today at 2404 Garfield Ave SE, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87106 at 2:30 p.m. on Thursday, November 29, 2012.

I was watering my plants outside and my neighbors started talking about, and pointing towards, a gigantic cloud of black smoke forming three blocks away. As soon as I saw the cloud, I started to run towards it to see what was going on and if I could help. After running 50 feet, I decided it would be a good idea to grab my camera, and my keys, so I could take some pictures and lock my house up.

From two blocks away, the heat from the fire became apparent. The roads were also crowded with onlookers. The entire atmosphere was that of a UNM Student Ghetto carnival.

I texted my friend Alicia one of these pictures, and then realized my other friends may be interested in reading about the fire, so I decided to write a blog post.














The emergency workers were trying to get everyone away. They said propane tanks were present and could explode. After this, I started walking away.





My neighborhood association president - Jennifer Simpson. Her house is just down the street from the fire, and I borrowed her hair dryer on the way back to finish winterizing my awesome single pained windows.


I have never seen the streets so crowded. The emergency service vehicles were having trouble getting it with all the traffic. I was on foot.

An artists rendition of an aerial view of the fire.




The most amazing thing to me was the number of cars packed into the area surrounding the fire. The only other times I've seen things so packed were during Isotope's baseball games, and maybe during Lobo football games. Even then, these side streets NEVER see that much traffic.

Hopefully no one was hurt, and the fire department was able to contain the blaze. After a few days, I may take some pictures of the rubble, being careful not to get too close or do anything dangerous.

No comments: